15 November, 2013

Peyton & Byrne's Coconut Fairy Cakes

Another stunner from Peyton and Byrne's British Baking book. Oh my giddy god's pajamas are these cupcakes {fairy cakes} luscious. The heady scent of coconut permeated the house and it was a truly delightful Friday morning. I'll make these again, there's no doubt about that. I know a few coconut lovers who would very much appreciate one of these scrumptious beauties.


The swiss meringue buttercream is ever so slightly time consuming, but in the end you have this ethereal, fluffy white cloud, frosting that is one in a million. The cakes are moist and flavorful. I changed a few things, I didn't do the raspberries in the bottom of each pastry case as called for. These are, after all, really entitled 'Coconut and Raspberry Fairy Cakes'. It is Autumn here and raspberries aren't in season, so I skipped them. I added the zest of one lemon and 1 teaspoon of coconut extract to the batter. A 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract was also added to the frosting. Both of these additions helped to create a truly coconutty cake. The vanilla, coconut, and lemon all seem to fall in love and create this lovely scented, flavorful cake. Combine that with the frosting and prepare to be wowed.

With each recipe I make from this book I fall more and more in love. So far, everything has been a smashing success, which is so reassuring when you give over good ingredients to someone else's recipe. I wonder which recipe will be next? Coffee and walnut cake? Banoffee Pie? We shall see...


No comments: