07 October, 2013

Nerdy Doughnut Love - Cooking with Miss Lils

I was recently on the ATK feed and saw the infographic for 'A Nerd's Guide to Making Doughnuts' and thought, 'Yup, I'm on that!' And I was. And it was wonderful.

It was a rainy Friday last week, so after school Princess and I set to work making proper, yeasted, fried doughnuts. They. Were. Amazing. Have you ever had a warm doughnut all covered in crunchy cinnamon sugar? Oh my goodness, you must, I tell you. Don't waste another minute! Get into the kitchen!


The dough was simple, as easy, breezy as whipping together a pizza dough. We put it in a really warm place and it was ready to go in no time. Princess loved rolling them out. Sadly I didn't get any photos of that. I was probably having too much fun to think of it. I did the frying bit, but she was close to hand to check it out from atop a chair several feet away. The whole experience was fun.

I've been so busy with university studies that I'm not as engaged with Princess as I'd like to be. I decided doing a regular cooking afternoon with her is a good way to spend time together and hopefully it'll inspire me to post on a more regular basis. Having times like this at the end of a hectic week help us to bond and be close amidst the chaos of busy lives. Moral of the story, get into the kitchen and cook with your kids ~ they'll love it and it's a great opportunity to discuss science, math, history and just be together - there are all sorts of  great personal and educational opportunities in the kitchen. Plus, you get to devour what you create! Yum!

Click HERE for the infographic and recipe.


No comments: