14 February, 2013

Valentine's Day Easy Chocolate Mousse

I love me some Valentine's Day. Every year I make something special and this year, as I am recovering from a cold and the blizzard of 2013, I decided on an easy recipe. Nigella Lawson's Instant Chocolate Mousse.


I don't know that I'd call it instant, but it's quick and easy. It's also good if you have children, are pregnant or just cannot get fresh enough eggs to feel comfortable consuming raw eggs, which is what a traditional chocolate mousse contains.

This chocolate mousse relies on marshmallows to get that ethereal, airy texture. Because marshmallows are so sweet it's really important to us a good quality, DARK chocolate here. I even go so far as to add a bit more than the recipe suggests, probably an extra two or three ounces. I want my chocolate mousse to be really chocolatey. It's as simple and melting all the ingredients together for five or ten minutes, allowing the mixture to cool and then folding it in to some whipped cream. Easy peasy, impressive and utterly scummy.


I've made this recipe quite a few times and it is my daughter's favorite so I thought it would be nice to make it for a decadent dessert on Valentine's Day. I may have had a few spoonfuls for my breakfast, or rather as an appetizer to my breakfast. Wink wink.



I definitely ate that blob of chocolate mousse off the counter.

This recipe is readily available on Nigella's website and in her book, Express.

No comments: